HQueue for Dummies
Every time I set this up I seem to forget something... so here is my fool proof steps to getting this set up
- Install Houdini and HQueue - make sure each machine has a Houdini install and the HQueue Client, but ensure only ONE machine has the server!
- Edit the .ini file to point to the server
- Open port 5000 (if that's what you used during install) for both inbound and outbound traffic on all machines
- Test the amchines can talkusing something like telnet (run "telnet server-name 5000")
- Map the H drive on each machine (this should point to your main H drive mapping on the server, with the directories "houdini-distros" and "projects" in it)
- Start each client manually (run "hqclientd.bat"). You can add this to each machine's startup as well.
- Map a project to your H drive and cook away.
Quick Test Project - Render Explosion Sequence
- Open Houdini (FX, Indie or Apprentice)
- Create a sphere, then choose "Explosion" from the Pyro FX shelf
- Create a camera, select it from the camera menu at the top right of the viewport, and postion to frame your explosion
- Create a "Distant Light"
- Switch to the "Out" context
- Wire an "HQueue Render" node after "mantra1"
- Set the "HQueue Server" to be your server name followed by the port (server-name:5000)
- Change "Render Current Hip File" to "Copy Project Files..."
- Press "Submit Job" at the top of the HQ node parameters
- It'll think for a moment, and hopefully present you with an option to view HQueue